The leadership of Mission del Sol includes elders, deacons, commission members, and other officers. If you are interested in joining a commission or becoming an elder or a deacon, please contact the church office for details. See the Leadership Page for information on current leadership.
Commissions are smaller groups that include elders, deacons, and members of the congregation who work together to manage various aspects of Mission del Sol.
Responsible to provide opportunities for all members, friends, youth and children to explore
their Christian faith and to deepen their theological understanding. Responsible to obtain,
review, and offer Christ centered learning materials; invite, secure, and support leaders who
serve as teachers for all ages; identify new ways of learning; and to develop and offer special
Christian Education Goals:
- Provide a variety of Christian Education opportunities which may include alternative opportunities beyond Sunday morning classes
- Integrate Christian Education into other church activities
- Educate the Christian Education leaders and teachers about the Spiritual development growth and outcomes by age, and monitor and work toward presenting them to all
- Incorporate special courses, topics and/or outside speakers into Christian Education
Co-Chairs: Karen Bruggeman
Meets: Fourth Tuesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the library.
Responsible to promote congregational fellowship and well-being. Ministries may include
Sunday morning and memorial service fellowship and refreshments, monthly birthday
celebrations, the email prayer list, cards for ill and non-attending members, Shrove Tuesday
Pancake Supper, the Easter Potluck, Fellowship Feasts, the Congregational Picnic and the Santa
Congregational Life Goals:
- To get people in the community of faith together for fellowship to feed their bodies and souls
- To launch new fellowship events to encourage community participation
Co-Chairs: Geri Ferneau and Janet Thor
Non-Chair Members: Linda Boyne, Sally Coffman, Sharon DePietro, Cynthia Giroux, Larry Langer, Jan Spence, and Melanie Zimmer.
Meets: Third Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the library.
Responsible for the safety, maintenance, repair and remodeling of the buildings, capital
furnishings, structure, parking facilities, grounds and landscaping. Monitoring of regular care of
all property as well as long term plans for the property are a responsibility.
- Improve utilization of building
- Roof inspection
- Kitchen improvement
- Help with custodian’s organization of large supply closet
Co-Chairs: Larry Coffman and Steve Zimmer
Non-Chair Members: Bill Ferneau, Rob Henry, Larry Langer, and Melanie Zimmer
Meets: Second Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m. in the library.
Responsible to manage the financial resources of the church. Responsible for the accuracy and integrity of church financial records and financial resources. Responsible to communicate to the pastor, the session, the deacons and church members all matters related to the finances of the church.
Co-Chairs: Wendy Whittard and Tony Nevers
Meets: Third Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. in the library.
Responsible to ensure care of the staff. Responsible to work with the Head of Staff to celebrate
the ministries of all staff; to coordinate and implement MdS personnel policies and procedures
as approved by session; to recruit and ensure performance evaluations of staff; to update job
descriptions; to ensure appropriate compensation for staff; to recommend to session
compensation changes based upon recommendations of the Head of Staff; and to provide
consultation to the Head of Staff on employee and volunteer issues.
- Procedures will ensure that required personnel have read Appendix A and B of the HR Manual.
- Members of the congregation will learn about MdS policy and procedures regarding sexual misconduct.
- Congregation members will be informed about the responsibilities of key leadership and staff, including the pastor and head of staff.
- The staff vacation policy will fairly and appropriately calculate earned vacation for less than full time staff.
- Evaluation of staff performance, including the pastor/head of staff, will include quantity and quality data.
Co-Chairs: Cyndi Reighard and Bob Rimer
Non-Chair Members: David Boyne, Sally Christie
Meets: Second Tuesdays at 3:00 p.m. in the library.
Responsible to welcome new church participants and assist them in becoming part of our faith
community. Responsible to implement approaches for welcoming worship and educating
guests; to implement and support targeted small groups; to actively seek information that can
be communicated; and to utilize social media including the web, Facebook, Instagram and
New Connections Goals:
- Cultivating New relationships
- Specifically: Creating a workgroup of 5-10 ppl to meet and greet during coffee hour
- Welcoming guests in creative ways
- Mailing letters, emails, phone calls to new visitors that have left their information
- Promoting Mission Del Sol to new people as well as its members
- Assisting other commissions and deacons with advertising needs
- Social Networking
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Videoing sermons and posting on FB, which is automatically added to our website
- Communicating with Deacons/ Chairs to send us info/ pics of their activities to pre-post and to post pics of after the events.
- Contact all parents to gain permission for group pictures of children without names/ information about them.
Meets: Third Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. in the library.
Responsible to identify and communicate to the church issues of justice in our communities and
throughout the world. Responsible to conduct research on local, national, and global justice
issues. Provide information about justice issues through oral, written, and social media forms.
Engage the church in strategies and approaches which work toward the resolution of social
Social Justice Commission Goals:
- The commission will cultivate understanding of the Muslim faith and continue to respect, build trust and support the Muslim faith community.
- The commission will provide support to the Vah Ki Presbyterian Church.
- The commission will cultivate understanding and provide support to immigrant issues.
- The commission will provide educational opportunities on issues of social justice.
Co-Chairs: Sally Christie
Non-Chair Members: Lois Olden
Meets: Fourth Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. in the library.
Responsible to develop and implement a year round stewardship approach. Develop program
to identify the abilities, talents, skills and resources of the congregation and foster stewardship
of time, talents, and treasure; and conduct the annual fall campaign.
Co-Chairs: Dennis Richards
Meets: Fourth Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the library.
Responsible to ensure meaningful and appropriate regular and special worship services (See
Directory for Worship in the Book of Order). Responsible to collaborate with the Pastor on all
aspects of worship; to coordinate with the Music Minister to ensure a variety of inspirational
musical offerings; to provide oversight for welcoming people; to provide oversight to audiovisual
volunteers; to serve as liturgists, teachers at the children’s message time, and presenters
of the minute for mission; to prepare and care for the Communion elements; to care for the
worship environment including Bibles, hymnals, flowers, art, colors; and to arrange for pulpit
supply when requested by the pastor.
- Finalize a plan regarding the worship flowers
- Continue to find ways to involve children and youth in worship
- Collaborate with other commissions and groups at MdS to partner with Vah Ki Presbyterian Church
- Seek input from the congregation and other sources to experiment with worship during the interim period
Co-Chairs: Phillip Horen
Meets: Third Tuesdays at 7:00 p.m. in the library.